Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to know how to program the engine for a platform game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kv1712

Programmer
Jun 13, 2000
CA
Sorry for my ignorance, but I'm completely stumped.

Basically, you need input from the player (like moving the character around with a keyboard), game logic (like controlling enemies), and graphics. There's lots of information all around the 'net on all of this stuff, whether you're going to write a nice old DOS game using <xxxio.h> and VGA routines stolen from tutorials, or a newfangled windows game with DirectInput and Direct3D. And the best place in my opinion is gamedev.net. There's one set of articles there by a programmer who's working on the new Duke Nukem game about exactly this, how to create a game engine, how to make a game using the engine you develeop, and how to make it portable, and clean, and easy to modify and all. The problem is, he seems to have quit writing them before he got anywhere near the end. But there's still lots to be learned from the first 15 or so articles. I don't remember where it is, try Programming->General or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back