Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to find the path to users default email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grizz2

Programmer
Dec 4, 2001
US
Hi all,
I've been trying to figure out how to find the path to a users default mail program, without knowing the app name. ie. Outlook, Netscape, or third party. Surely theres an API that would make this simple. All help is appreciated.
Thanks

Why do you need the path? So that you can run it? If so, then here is a handy way of doing so (presented in VB format, since that's my background...)

Option Explicit

Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hwnd As Long, ByVal lpszOp As String, ByVal lpszFile As String, ByVal lpszParams As String, ByVal lpszDir As String, ByVal FsShowCmd As Long) As Long

Public Sub OpenMail()
ShellExecute 0&, "Open", "mailto:", "", "", 0&
End Sub

Hi strongM,
Yes I want to use their mail program but need to be able to check mail also. I was trying to use MAPI controls but for some reason my anti virus software kept causing vb to crash, the first time all I did was add a MAPISession control to a form and boom. So thought it might be simple enough to get the path and use shell or appActivate. Any ideas? Thanks for this bit of code. That would work good for a mailto: hyperlink
Thanks for your help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back