Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to emulate a PRI for testing purposes... any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-man

IS-IT--Management
Jun 15, 2018
US
We are upgrading a customer to a new Chronicall call cetner system. We currently have a temp IPO installed to run the customers old service, and we have a new R11 system and all the new Chronicall software installed etc. Chronicall (Xima) wants a way we can test inbound calls and routing before we actually go live. Unfortunately, we cannot disconnect the customers main PRI because that would take them out of service.

Can I use a second IPO and connect the two via a t-1 cross over cable, therefore acting like a PRI connection? I don't know if this will work, but this is how we used to connect in the old Merlin Legend days when we wanted to connect two systems. I know this might be wishful thinking on my part, but I thought I would ask. Otherwise, it looks like we have to get Century Link involved and have them try to rig something. That part scares me... LOL.

You can use a second system with the PRI signaling set to CO with a cross over. That is how we test PRI's in out lab.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

Can you answer the following questions as well? When testing can you recieve/send digits so you are able to test inbound routing based on digits?

The scenario is that we have TWO IPO's on site. Switch A is the main one and has a fully functioning PRI. Switch B is the test switch. Switch A has a dual PRI card. So is it possible to connect from the second PRI port of Switch A, to the incoming PRI of Switch B, and actually route a real inbound call that is hitting Switch A, across the cross-over cable to Switch B? I hope I am explaining this well enough. Thank you.

It should operate just like a live PRI for signaling and such. If you have CID in the ARS it is going to send it. It seems I have done that sort of testing before but it was a while ago. We now have a router with a PRI port and SIP capabilities in our lab for testing. Won't hurt to try.

Dermis and feline can be divorced by manifold methods.*
*(Disclaimer for all advise given)--'Version Dependent'

One idea might be to see if you can find an Adtran Atlas 550 on Ebay with 3 T1 ports. For example, they have a quad T1 card. You can then set 1 port as a network port for the main PRI and configure the other 2 ports as CPE ports for your IP Office systems. You can then, in programming route incoming calls accordingly.

I have one and, while it takes a bit of effort to learn, have found it invaluable over the years. It is a CO in a box. You can have analog FXS ports, FXO ports, ISDN BRI U,, ISDN S/T. Pretty much anything.

It also proves to be a handy T1, PRI, and BRI troubleshooting aid in a pinch.

Google and the Adtran support site provides many config examples to help you learn the box.

Could you do the same on a Cisco router with the relevant T1/PRI modules?

Was long as you can emulate the CO part there is no reason why not.

Joe
FHandw, ACSS (SME)

Remembering intrigrant 2019

We keep a 406 with a PRI card card to test PRI on systems. Works well and is a very cheap test solution.

The truth is just an excuse for lack of imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back