Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need to connect an IBM 3592 J1A to windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrye1428

Programmer
Nov 24, 2008
CA
I need to connect an IBM 3592-J1A drive to Windows (any version) I am currently trying win2000 prof.
I have a qlogic HBA QLA2200F in the PC
When I try to connect directly from the HBA to the drive, the Fiber Channel (FC) link fails. If I connect the HBA to a switch the link between the switch and the HBA works, but a link between the 3592 drive and the switch fails. I have the hardware maintenance panel, but do not have documentation on it. I have tried the most obvious options but still no link.

Any help please

First question, have you installed the correct drivers for the OS? I think this model support Win2000 server and higher (so technically it could work with Win2KPro)

Hi
This is not a driver problem since the qlogic installs as a SCSI controller (Miniport driver). The qlogic installs correctly. I have my own set of drivers. (IBM only provides drivers for win2003 server) My drivers, and IBM drivers, ride on top of the lower level SCSI support. This is a fiber channel connect or setting in the drive level problem that prevents the FC link from functioning. (yes I have tried different cables etc)

Thanks for the response.

Hi
Thanks for the help

However the problem was with the way I was powering up the drive. It seems IBM power supplies provide some extra signals to the drive, and without these the drive will not attach to the fiber channel.

Also I am able to use the drive with my drivers and do not have any other drivers loaded except for the Qlogic HBA driver.

I will get my scope out and determine what the special signals are when I get time. Wish I could get hardware manuals for this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back