Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need suggestions on aftermarket video card fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

jznightmare

Programmer
Nov 17, 2003
US
i would like to ask for suggestions on what aftermarket video card fan would fit my video card "Powercolor Radeon 9600 Pro EZ 128mb 8x tv/dvi 400/200"

the fan is already dying, i tried adding oil and cleaning it but it has little effect on the rpm of the fan. it's only 5 months old and i'll try if i can still have it rma'ed.

i researched a little on the web on possible fans that would fit and i saw the "Vantec Iceberg 4", would this fit?

i also read that this fan has two variants, the pro and non-pro, would both of these variants fit?

thank you.

If you cannot get the entire card replaced, then post back and we'll try to help.

I've replaced the fan on a Sapphire Radeon 9600 Pro with one of the Vantec Iceberg's. The Iceberg models are all the same sizes, just different materials, and they're actually super-simple to install, probably just want to have some needle-nose pliers to remove the old heatsink / fan.

Lastly, you can either splice together the wires from the old fan power cord to the new one so the new fan can plug into the video card, else you can just plug it into an extra fan connection on the motherboard if you have an extra.

I recently RMA'd my MSI videocard, and was sent back 3 bad cards in a row.
When I explained to customer service that there was nothing wrong with my original card besides the fan, they told me they would have happily just shipped me a replacement fan if I had asked in the first place.... GRRRRRRR!

It can't hurt to ask ATI to ship you a replacement fan, if you desire to keep the manufacturer's warranty.

I just had the card RMA'ed and i replaced the stock fan and heatsink with a vantec iceberg 4 pro.

thanks for everyone's reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back