Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need some advise... CSS2 vs TABLE layout 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindPete

Programmer
Jul 5, 2000
US
I am starting a new project and I tempted to go full throttle CSS. I have been dragging my feet on fully using CSS, some what out of laziness (I am too used to table based layouts).

Anyhow what pitfalls are there by using CSS2?
Are there parts that are best to stay away from for now?

Is it true that IE6 is not fully compliant with CSS2?

-Pete
Do you get a little pleasure when a celebrity has a bad day?
Well then The Dead Pool is for you!

Yes, it is true that IE is not fully CSS2 compliant. That's the only pitfall I know of in using CSS2. The advantages are too many to name. :)

I am Comptia A+ Certified

Tables. I know css is nice, but for now, I'd say to stick with tables. I know that I'm certainly not switching over to css for a while. Maybe when Netscape 8 and IE 8 are out, css will be a reality.

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO is back! Sorry I've been away for so long--it's been a busy year ;-)
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

Rant: Actually, the notion that CSS is not possible today is an illusion.

IE5+, Netscape6+/Mozilla, Opera, and a host of other browsers all support enough CSS to ditch tables and move to pure-CSS methodologies.

The reason nobody seems to want to acknowledge this is force of habit; most designers learned to kick butt with tables and don't want to step into the unknown, or when they do, the learning curve is daunting so they turn back.

CSS2 has bugs and workarounds, but they're simple and you become blind to them, just like you became blind to the thousands of ridiculously complex bugs and workarounds with tables.

Sorry for the rant.

News and views of some obscure guy

That's the best you can do? Now listen to my rant!....jk ;-)

I'm not saying that css doesn't work or that there aren't workarounds to some of the bugs. I'm not even saying that there aren't bugs with tables. I'm just saying that I think tables are best to use, at least for now.

Rick

-----------------------------------------------------------
RISTMO is back! Sorry I've been away for so long--it's been a busy year ;-)
RISTMO Designs
Arab Church

ahhh no apologies. All this info is good. Does any one know of chart that list compatablility issues with the browsers? I'm mainly interested in the big ones netscape, IE and mozilla. I looked at W3C but didnt see one.

-Pete
Do you get a little guilty pleasure when a celebrity has a bad day?
Well then The Dead Pool is for you!

Eric Meyer is one of the big-wigs for CSS design. I thought he had some really good points in the below interview that address this issue between tables and CSS. "Transitional Layouts" allow you to make the transition toward CSS one step at a time by using a stripped-down, simple table for overall positioning, but CSS to take care of all other presentation. Seems like a good compromise if pure CSS is too radical.

News and views of some obscure guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back