Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need outside calls to stop ringing through 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShowmenHeather

Technical User
Apr 2, 2021
US
At some point during lockdown, someone here changed some phone settings to get it ringing in the warehouse. I was thinking it just has Follow Me turned on since the Shipping display says which line and shows it ringing to my reception phone, e.g. "Showmen->Recep" is displaying on the Shipping extension. So, in theory, I just need the short code *13*(my ext)#..right? Except I am unsure of how to enter short codes. Nothing happens if I just push those buttons. I can't find anywhere that explains how to enter a short code since it's not the same as Feature codes, and an internet search did not yield any results. If you see this and think, "No, Silly! That's called ___ and you change it this way.." I will greatly appreciate any info you have and have no issue with admitting I was wrong, but I'd still like to know how to enter short codes if you have that tip. Maybe I need to change the pick up group? Shipping keeps accidentally picking up incoming calls and putting them on hold without even realizing it.

How about call forward.

What is displayed on the screen of the phone that’s doing the forwarding.

To cancel Feature #4

It also could be a night service activated

Check main phone to see if Night Service is active.

It also could have been manually programmed in the system to redirect the calls.

You will then need programming and password access to the system.

By the way look at the FAQ section in tabs above.😎
It has a lot of info💡
faq799-2182

When posting it's best to mention which model phone system and/or software level as there are many flavours.
Some people mistake the model number of a phone as being the name of a phone system.

You mention "Short Codes *13*(my ext)#"
Avaya IP Office and EmetroTel systems uses "Short Codes" where Nortel Norstar & BCM uses "Feature Codes"

What Nortel Norstar system's looks like: Forum link (this forum)
download_zby9ki.jpg

What Nortel BCM system's looks like: Forum link
bcms_cana4c.jpg

What a Avaya IP Office system looks like: Forum link
download2_j7rzmf.jpg

What an E-metrotel system looks like: Forum link
ucx_q7nooz.jpg

Avaya (who took over Nortel's telecom portion of the company) and EmetroTel both made specials modules for their system to except the Norstar digital phones (M7xx & T7xx series) which help in a slow migration.

Typically you would use the Feature button or internal dial tone before you enter the code.

From an Avaya IP office user guide with a Norstar telephone:

Follow Me
· Follow Me Here: *12*N#
Dialed at the extension to which you want you calls redirected. Use your own extension number (N) when dialing
the short code.
· Follow Me Here Cancel: *13*N#
Dialed at the extension to which you want your calls were redirected. Use your own extension number (N) when
dialing the short code.
· Follow Me To: *14*N#
Dialed at your phone. Dial the extension number (N) to which you want your calls redirected. You can dial just
*14# to cancel follow me.
· Cancel All Forwarding: *00
Switch off any forwarding. Includes forward unconditional, forward on busy, forward on no answer, follow me and
do not disturb.

And just in case:

Forwarding
· Cancel All Forwarding: *00
Switch off any forwarding. Includes forward unconditional, forward on busy, forward on no answer, follow me and
do not disturb.
· Set the Forward Unconditional Destination: *07*N#
Set the destination number (N) for forward unconditional when it is switched on.
· Switch Forward Unconditional On: *01
Switch on forward unconditional. A destination must have been set.
· Switch Forward Unconditional Off: *02
· Include Group Calls in Forward Unconditional: *50
· Exclude Group Calls from Forward Unconditional: *51
· Set the Forward On Busy/No Answer Destination: *57*N#
Set the destination number (N) for forward on busy and forward on no answer. If no number has been set, those
functions will use the forward unconditional number if set.
· Switch Forward On Busy On: *03
· Switch Forward On Busy Off: *04
· Switch Forward on No Answer On: *05
· Switch Forward on No Answer Off: *06

Resources:

Avaya Support
Tandem Data - IP Office guides
EmetroTel docs

Other forums on Tek-tips

I woke up too early!

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Snowman50, thank you. There were some codes in there I was not familiar with. As for the call forwarding, I tried that first. I went so far as to cancel all forwarding on every single phone in the building. Not one showed forwarding on the display, and it did not cure the problem. We don't use night service. We have a schedule in place for the auto attendant. I also tried Feature#87 and Feature #781 to cancel call redirection, but nothing happened. My phone didn't recognize the 87 and the 781 got an invalid code message as soon as I hit the 8. I do have all the necessary admin and system passwords so I can change the setting if I just know what setting made it do this. I then thought maybe it was part of a Hunt Group, but there aren't any hunt groups assigned in the system.

Curlycord, I'm sorry. I can't believe I didn't include that info. We use the Nortel Norstar. My prime ext is a Meridian M7324 and the most of the other phones are Norstar M7310. I guess that answers my question on why I can't get short codes to work. My only user guides for the phones was located through Avaya and that's where I got the short code info. There is no feature code that I can find for Follow Me, so I guess that eliminates my best guess.

I guess I'm just kind of stuck. I've cancelled forwarding on every phone in the building (not that any displayed the usual forwarding message), Follow Me isn't an option I guess, the hunting group metrics show nothing assigned to any hunting group, the night attendant schedule has not changed, and I don't think redirection applies here as that's for redirecting to outside lines, but nothing happened when I tried to cancel it anyway. The only scenario I could find was the Follow Me option listed in Avaya manuals, which I don't seem to have. There are 3 phones that have always been programmed to ring and automatically answer incoming calls on pick up allowing me to move throughout the building; my Reception phone and two others, plus this 4th new interloper in shipping. Line 1 rings, Reception phone just shows line 1 flashing, date and time remain until I pick up the phone, then it auto selects the incoming call and shows "Show 1" (we have two companies, lines renamed to Show or Sem). The others all display upon incoming ringing "Show1->Recep." That is exactly the display description I found for Follow Me. Ugh. I'm at my wits' end. I'll keep looking. I do thank you both for your help. It is greatly appreciated.

Hi
Are you now saying the calls are answered with an Auto Attendant? On a schedule .

If the calls are only ringing the main reception then you need to go into the programming of the system and make the lines either Ring or Appear &ring on a button on the other phones.

You will need your phone system passwords to access it.

You can also use call pickup Feature75 to pickup a group
Or
Feature76 followed by the reception extension number if that’s the phone that’s ringing.

Snowman, no. We only have the AA set up for Forward on No Answer and the schedules only relate to greetings for the AA. All calls ring through and are automatically answered when you pick up the handset on the Reception Phone. We have 3 others that are supposed to also ring through and auto answer when you pick up plus this one I'm trying to stop from doing just that. Those additional phones literally display that the call is routed to the Reception phone. Reception phone is set up for Appear & Ring, but the phone that I'm trying to turn off say its Unassigned. Some of the phones in sales are set for Appear (not ring) and you have to manually select the line the incoming call is going through to pick up. Sales uses the group pick up all the time to get each other's phones, but that's not the issue here. This phone is ringing and displaying that Line 1 is ringing through to Reception, and it automatically answers it when you pick it up. We want no ring, no answer, and auto select line is 5 for dial out. Never line 1. At this point, I'd settle for changing the auto select line, but it won't work because of whatever setting has the phone acting like a twin for Reception (I checked, Twinning is actual twin so the extension number wouldn't work like it is, it would act line exactly like mine using no internal settings from the phone including extension number).

It could be DRT to prime.

Each line has a prime extension.
Normally it’s the reception phone.
The lines could be programmed to DRT to other extensions
Check each of the lines and change them to 5he reception phone.

It almost sounds like the affected phone has an answer dn on it. Do a button inquiry and check just above the intercom keys to see if there is an answer dn. If so you can go into system programming and remove it under terminals and sets/line access/answer dn.

Snowman - all the instructions I find say that DRT to prime setting is in Features, but I am not showing that options in my features.

Phoneguy - I checked the shipping phone physically and no answer dn was programmed on any button. I got desperate and checked them all. In the system, it's showing that Shipping extension as unassigned under answer dns.

Sorry, people. I appreciate your help to no end. I have had zero training, and there is no one left here who knows how to do it. I've basically taught myself through internet research so I could adjust time/date, change names, add mailboxes, etc. This site taught me all about hotlining!! I called the retired guy who at one point used to sell these, and his suggestion was to cancel call forwarding. Ugh.

hotlining" and "Follow Me" are not a Norstar features, PLEASE get you mind off of Avaya and stop reading their manuals!!!
You even verified you have a Norstar above.

You should really call a tech since you are so confused.
When on site we could probably figure it out in minutes.

As for training there is tech programming and admin programming....your trying to do tech stuff.

"there is no one left here who knows how to do it."
We all know combined how to do it all but you need to understand you throw us off with the Avaya BS, no proper details and that there is thousand of bits of programming and many ways to accomplish the same thing.

I also had voted Answer DN but I took all day to type and post that I deleted it because I finally read the other replies.

SO I vote DRT now lol
DRT is not a feature code it's in System Programming/Feature Settings, you can turn DRT To Prime Set on or off and ring count/delay
Then in Lines/Prime Set you enter the DN, in your case remove it and change to NONE.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Some questions H

"Reception phone just shows line 1 flashing"
1. is your phone truly the DN it is supposed to be? (Feature * 0 Intercom then look at the display to see the DN)
2. In Sets/Recptn/LineAcces?lineAssignment are your lines set to Appear & Ring or Appear Only?
3a. What happens when another phone intercoms your phone? ie does it ring your phone and any others as well?
3b. What happens when another phone intercoms your phone? ie what eventually answers the call if does?
4. Look at the Forward No Answer on a 2 sets that have a mailbox, are they FNA to the DN of the voicemail system (Feature 985 to see the DN) or is it set to NONE?

"The others all display upon incoming ringing "Show1->Recep""
Is this by design and has always been like that or is this also a related issue you want fixed as well?
I ask because we have gone from Shem to now Show.

=----(((((((((()----=
Toronto, Canada

Add me to LinkedIN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back