Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need IT experience in a part-time format - Please advise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

unc92sax

Technical User
Nov 16, 2004
US
I am transitioning from a decade of teaching music to an IT career. I am taking classes at my local community college and already have Net+ and have passed A+ core. I will take A+ OS in Dec and CCNA in May before starting my new career. My wife works full-time until June and we have three kids.

I will be seeking a part-time job during the spring session in order to get some much-neeeded experience. The problem is that with a working wife, three kids, and Cisco classes, my time will be very limited. It may need to be 3rd shift. I really would like some networking experience, but any IT job would do. What should I look for? Geeks-On-Call, my college IT dept., my own freelancing?

Thanks for any advice.

BTW, I plan on focusing my career on Cisco Routing & Switching. I love using the CLI and have already perfected subnetting.

Geeks-On-Call, my college IT dept., my own freelancing?

Sounds good. Honestly, think of this as your first interview opportunity. Find out what each one of these options has to offer you before making your decision.

Remember, you are interviewing the opportunity to see if it benefits you, not the other way around.

BTW, I would also look into Help Desk opportunities...

~Thadeus

I'd have to agree with the help desk positions as well. In addition, while you search for a job I'd suggest setting up an at home lab to study on. Doesn't even have to be super expensive depending on what you plan on doing with your IT career. Servers can be had relatively cheap as well as simple workstations. If you want to work with Cisco routers/switches that may be a little pricey. This isn't advertising (I have no affiliation with the company, my old job used to order classroom servers thru them) . Software can be had pretty cheap or free too, you can most of the Microsoft Server software (OS, SQL, Exchange, etc.) as trial software and stay within the terms of the EULA as it's for lab/evaluation purposes. Most of them are usually 180 days as well.

This way you'll have hands on experience before walking into a job interview. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back