Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i need help 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sypher9878

Technical User
Mar 18, 2003
US
I recently bought a WD 180gb hard drive. model:wd1800jb I instaled it and booted up. My bios read the drive fine. Then when xp pro booted i went into the disk management utility to partition and format it but the drive was only being shown as 128gb. Which i now know is due to the 128bit problem that all the old OS had. I thought xp did away with that along with ntfs(no limitations). Well if you have any advice it would be appreciated.

BTW. i am running an asus a7n8x deluxe MB with an athlon xp2600+ and 1gb corsair ram in a duel channel(pc 3520).

XP does not have a 128GB limitation (supports terabytes) - so it must be something else. Are you sure the bios is seeing the disk as 180GB (because 128GB IS a known bios limitation)?

Have you flashed your mobo with latest bios?

Are there any updated IDE drivers available for your mobo?

Jumpers on the drive definitely set correctly?

The jumpers are set to cable select because i have 2 drives on one cable(80GB MAXTOR). My bios reads the drive at 180 during POST and when i enter the bios itself so i haven't really considered the bios as being the problem. Someone told me that i need to hook it into a ultra133 pci card. I thought those were to just enable the 133speeds if your motherboard didnt support it. Well if you have any ideas.........

sypher9878,

Just found this registry tweak on another site (don't know if it works - haven't got a large enough drive to try it on!)

run regedit - go to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\Services\Atapi\Parameters

Add a new entry: EnableBigLba (type DWORD). Set value to 1.

After a restart the non removable disk over 128GB in Windows 2000/XP is recognized.

That solved the problem. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back