Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help transfering files from DOS to windows XP via parallel port

Status
Not open for further replies.

AceHigh1234

Instructor
Dec 21, 2004
US
I have a client with a PS2/55 with a broken disk drive. When you put a disk in, general failure. If you put strong preassure on the disk drive from below, you get bad sector 0.. I need to transfer a lot of Word Perfect files from this machine to disk, or another medium so I can import them to the clients new machine. Optimally, I would like to be able to attach a parallel cable to from the printer port on the PS/2 DOS 5.0 machine to a windows XP laptop and transer the files using the DOS print command, or some other DOS command or > pipes or whatever and capture them with some sort of software on the windows XP machine. I can't get any sort of transfer software on the DOS box cuz the drive is broken.. Please help!

Laplink software can use the parallel ports, and includes a remote install feature over the wire.

Well, I got LapLink V. Then, I got a paralell null modem cable. And remote install only works over a serial cable.. So I got a serial cable and null modem adapter. And then I realized that the PS2 has a 25 pin serial port, and the win95 laptop I am using as the local computer has a 9 pin serial port. Needless to say, 3 trips to RadioShack later, I got the proper cable, remote installed LL5 and got the files off of the PC. Thanks for your suggestion!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back