Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help to understand Exchange Server on SBS 2k3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mradmin

Technical User
Mar 20, 2001
US
Hi to all, I'm really confused about how to implement Exchange Server on our SBS 2003 domain controller. We have added this server to essentially a peer-to-peer network [about 12 WinXP Pro clients, hardware firewall, shared DSL for internet access]. Our email is hosted by the same firm that hosts our website. Users currently connect to that host to retrieve their messages (using Outlook as the client). I would like to use some of the collaborative features of Office 2003 (Sharepoint and Outlook calendars, etc.), and they seem to require Exchange server to do that. Can someone direct me to a resource that explains how this (local) Exchange server will co-exist with our hosted email? I have the MS Press administrator's companion for SBS2003, but it seems to describe many things that we don't have (or that I don't understand). Thanks for any direction you can give us!

---Will

Briefly, you will use the Exchange server POP connector to retrieve the client's e-mail from your ISP, into your Exchange server. Your clients will then utilize Outlook with the Exchange server to hadle their mail. The server's pop connector goes out to the ISP, and retrieves whatever mailboxes you tell it to, at whatever interval you set, and then redirects those messages into the Exchange server mailbox for the users. This allows you to have the collaborative benefits of Exchange, while still utilizing the (theoretical) safety of your ISP's mail server.

You say this is a peer-to-peer.... I'm assuming you meant it "was", and now you have joined all pc's and users to the Domain?

thanks for the explanation, and yes, this network "was" peer-to-peer, and I'm in the process of joining all to the domain. Some of the older systems were Win98 or XP Home and are being upgraded or replaced as I can get to them.

---Will

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back