Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i need help to make ghost image that is pre-installed xp for all PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

meatmeatof

Technical User
Jul 9, 2007
US
Hi, i need help to make ghost image which is pre-installed windows xp home/pro for all kind of computer and laptop.
i have to ghost an image into several different computers for customer everyday.
so, does anyone have instruction to do it?
what do i need?

i made ghost image before, but the image included all the hardware from that machine which is not good for ghosting on different machine.

The problem with something like this is that you're likely to run into HAL complications if you do it simply by using Sysprep.

It is possible to have a single image that is compatible across multiple platforms but what it does initially is nuke the HAL and do a fresh install of the HAL for the hardware detected, it will also install all of the device drivers for you as well. Unfortunately there are a couple of approaches to this, the simplest but perhaps the most costly would be to use the Universal Imaging Utility from Big Bang LLC ( these guys are actually the ones who developed Ghost in the first place so they know a thing or two about image creations. What UIU does is work with Sysprep and Driver Packs to sanitise an image. It then installs the right drivers for the hardware devices found upon running the new image.

An alternative would be to have a look over on for some more hints and tips, you can perhaps try creating an Nlited ( XP image that has all of the device drivers installed on them. Also have a look on for more integrators and advice about slipstreaming driverpacks and apps etc.

One word of advice, it has the potential to be a long and complicated project if you don't take your time to research this correctly. Take your time, read up and practice and you may well get it sorted nice and quickly.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

the alternative, and typically used method:

image for each type of hardware/system in the environment
ADS for automated image deployment

-Brandon Wilson
MCSE:Security00/03
MCSA:Messaging00
MCSA:Security03
A+

Hi. i have small question. i searched google and find that most tutorial or guide talking about install a clean xp in a PC instead of vmware at the beginning of building a master image. Can i install clean xp in vmware instead of regular pc? because i don't want to format reinstall my computer.

Becareful doing that, the HAL on the VMware image is likely to be different and could cause you issues, however it is possible to use VMware to do it.

SimonD.

The real world is not about exam scores, it's about ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back