Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help on Package & Deployment Wizard(VB 6.0) - Urgent !

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiptino

Programmer
May 27, 2000
NG
I used Package & Deployment Wizard to package an .exe application. The packaging was successful.
But during deployment on target computer, I encountered the following errors;

Errors:
-------
1)Setup Error 168 - "Encountered problem while updating
your system registry"

2)msvcrt.dll - "Destination file in use"

3)winnet.dll - "Destination file in use"

4)The file "c:\temp\msftqws.pdw\$[DllSelfRegisterEx]" could
not be registered because it was not found.

Eventually the deployment on the target computer was not successful.

Could anyone please assist me on how to troubleshoot this problem.

Thanks.

hiptino - I only have 1` idea and it is a long-shot.

When you ran thr P & D wizard, it generated a file named Setup.lst which shows all the files, dlls etc that the setup.exe will install. Some people edit this text file and remove the "DLLSelfRegister". I have never had to do this so can't advise.

Secondly, after you have ran Setup.exe on the target computer (whether successful or not), you can look at the St6unst.log file..... it may provide more info as to any problems the install encountered.

I hope some of this helps you.

Best regards, John

Try using installshield instead of P & D wizard. It seems a whole lot better. There's a free version of it on their website i think.

This is a known bug with the MS-Calendar Control. Check out Microsoft's site at Lookup document Q208699. Be sure to do the second part of it also, or you will have the same problem will ALL your applications that use the calendar control.

As far as your other errors, be sure that a browser is not running. Also check to be sure that none of the applications/services running in the system tray or the task manager has winsock open. Things might be like Norton Live Update, mIRC, ICQ, etc.

Also, check the date on the MSVCRT.DLL, if it has a 1997 date on it, upgrade that file. I've found on some NT machines that this file doesn't get updated, even if you apply a new service pack.

Cheers, Snaggs
tribesaddict@swbell.net
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted.

Hi there - I had the same problem running the error '4)The file "c:\temp\msftqws.pdw\$[DllSelfRegisterEx]" could not be registered because it was not found'. As Snaggs has said, it is a MS-Calendar (mscal.ocx) problem. It is really an MS Access control. If you haven't already found out the solution - the answer lies in opening the Setup.lst file and editting it at the line where mscal.ocx is mentioned. remove the 'Ex' from 'DllSelfRegisterEx', save the changes and run setup.exe again. this should solve your problem. Again, as Snaggs has pointed out, there are date and other issues to deal with if you intend using this control in future applications. I solved my problems by replacing the calendar control with MS's Monthview control. it is just as pleasant to use. Hope this helps - Micash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back