Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help on Capabilities of Microsoft Access 97 (Urgent !)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiptino

Programmer
May 27, 2000
NG
I'm currently testing a retail application.The application requires that users(up to 50 or more,from remote
Win 95/98/NT workstations) frequently (2secs or less) update rows in Access 97 database on another workstation via Visual Basic 6 front-end using ADO 2.0.
When reading rows I used (adForwardOnly/adLockReadOnly)
When updating rows I used (adKeyset/adLockoptimistic)

Due to limited resources, I'm testing the application on a single Win 98 computer. I simulated a 10-users scenario by running 10 instances of the application(.exe) on that single computer. The 10 instances worked fine for about 2min, but later popped up ADO error 3705 -
("The operation requested by the application is not allowed
if the object is open").
I guess the error came up because I'm running all the instances on same computer(i.e Trying to open a connection object that is already opened)

My questions:

a)
Can Access 97 handle such high frequency row updates?
If not I need a recommendation on database to use. If it can, could you recommend a data access technique that would be efficient?

b)
Could you please recommend a software testing technique?

c)
How many users can Microsoft Access concurrently handle without data access conflicts ?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back