Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help in setting up a network that I've never done before 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

klobba

Technical User
Aug 11, 2001
AU
Heya everyone,
I'm new to this forum, and I wasn't able to find any past threads which helped me out.
My problem is that I've been asked to set up a network which involves a home PC dialing up to the main server at the video store the people own, so that they can get their sales totals for the day. I've only set up a standard server with one client, so I don't really know what to do.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanx
sylv
:D

you can user PC Anywhere for both ends. Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrdebug@yahoo.com

hi jrdebug,
what is that?
i'm kind of new to networking
thanx
sylv

First figure out what type of network is it going to be peer to peer or client server based, etc and then go from there. PC Anywhere is a remote access based software which will allow you to access a computer from anywhere your located over either a network connection or a modem etc. You install PC Anywhere on both machines you want to share resources and setup host names and or IP addresses that both machines can talk to each other on. Once you do that you can set up security and other things so just anyone can't connect to the machine your trying to connect to without using a password. PC Anywhere is probably the easiest check it out it's at and they may have a demo you can try and then check out the manual or help menu for all the details on how to set it up. Peace

why using a third party product if Win2K has so many nice features for Remote access...
You can use plain RAS, or PPTP VPN (which is very easy to set up and gives you additional security)
After connecting to your RAS server you can access all data on your network...) Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Did this post help ? Click below to let me know ;-)

To all you people who have helped me out, I would like to say a huge thankyou, I owe you guys big time
thanx
sylv
:D

so do I just need 2 modems and the pcAnywhere software, or do I need server software like Windows 2000 Server as well?
thanx
sylv

if you were already runnning Win2K, you will need 2 modems, otherwise I would go for the PcAnywhere solution Peter Van Eeckhoutte
peter.ve@pandora.be

Did this post help ? Click below to let me know ;-)

both computers are running win 98
can I use standard 56K modems or do I need multi modem cards?
thanx
sylv

yes you can simply use standard modems, set up the PC Anywhere and go on ahead with business. it's as easy as that. :) Jeffrey Rebong
Computer Engineer/Network Administrator
jrtech@email.com

so I just need 2 modems and pcAnywhere, and the rest is straightforward!
thanx heaps everyone!
sylv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back