Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help, I want to set up a program/database to work with a scanne 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbadler

MIS
Feb 28, 2001
US
I am the head of my IT department and I want to keep track of inventory and keep track of repair historys on our equipment, basically I want to bar code every item and every time we go to do something on a system or piece of hardware i want to log it by swiping it so it records time and date and somewhere to put notes. I would like it to be in an access database type format or similar, so I can make reports. I have no idea what kind of scanner i should use, but maybe a PDA with a reader on it or something to that extent. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Keith

If you can bring the items to a PC then you could use a Keyboard wedge scanner. This type of scanner is connected to the Keyboard port of a PC with a "Y" cable that also allows the keyboard to be connected too. So any software package can work with barcodes. Where ever the cursor is blinking on the screen regardless of which program it is the scanner will put the barcode data there.
Next I would purchase a barcode font. This allows you to create barcodes on any document that the PC can print to any printer. You just need to be able to choose the barcode font. Access, Word, Excel and a host of other applications work very well with barcode fonts. So you could create a Mailing label report in Access and insert Avery mailing labels in your printer and soon you will have sheets of barcode to affix on your inventory items.

The other option as you mentioned is a PDA. Symbol makes several good solutions. The SPT1500 is on EBay all the time used but very cheap. You will then need a small application to run on the PDA to gather the data from the barcode scans. I use CAT Scan by Stevens Creek software.

You can also contact me direct I have all of the above items in stock
dposton@barcodeone.com
Visit the WEB site sponsor above DougP, MCP

What kinf of volume/throughput are you looking at for this application. Beware of multiple users with an Access database, go with SQLServer or similar if you can. I have an application running with two automated scanning and one manual scanning into an Access database that was great for a couple years but has to have a "repair" run daily. Each station gets about one scan every 15 seconds and it is too much for Access, switching over to SQLServer.

For most applications I am using an RF handheld scanner for user flexibility and often use Seagull Scientific "BarTender" software for the labels which I embed into VB code.

Office depot sell a palm scanner with a symbol barcode scanner on top.

100 bucks

150+ 50$ rebate

we have used these before and can be hard to find, they are marketed for scanning items to order through office depot.

You can use tracer X software (50 bucks)or han Dbase on the palm

Access has a built in Asset managment database with a slick wizard

cheapest effective solution we have found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back