Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need help coverting Number\ String to datetime

Status
Not open for further replies.

B555

Technical User
Feb 7, 2005
US
I have two fields that I want to put into one in a date format. I have a number that looks like this 20080404 and string that looks like this 201535. I want to combine the two create a data time field that looks like "4/4/2008 20:15 PM" can anyone help me with this. Thanks

This would be in cognos Impromptu, I didn't originally put that in there.

B555,
The standard time handling facilities of Impromptu are woeful; I think there are only two ways you can do this - either edit the SQL that the report presents to the DB or add in a time add function to Impromptu.

For the former, since your number is in the correct format for the number-to-date function, it's is just a call to cdate, and one can parse the time string to the required format for a ctime call. Using fields called "Date" and "Time", that would give you SQL like:
(cdatetime(((cdate(T1."Date"))) + ctime((od_left(T1."Time",2)) || ':' || (substring(T1."Time" from 3 for 2)) || ':' || (od_right(T1."Time"',2)) || '.000'))).
Editing SQL does curtail your ability to modify the report, so it's an extreme option. Use a back-up copy!

For the latter, see the Cognos Knowledgebase document 1001290.1 which gives an example of the steps to add the DATEADD functionality relating to time to Impromptu when using a SQL server DB as source.

HTH,
lex

soi la, soi carré

Thanks for the response, I'm actually going to try Both.I like the idea of th add in. Thanks for the help. I will let you know B

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back