Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

i need help, comp constantly reboots on it's own and loops it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMandingo

Technical User
Jun 9, 2003
US
i need a help or a solution. my computer on it's own reboots it's self and keeps on cycling itself before it hits the desktop. i get no blue screen of death or anything. it just keeps on rebooting uncontrollably. anyone have any ideas?

Little more info please...

What OS?

What service pack or update are you at?

What was the last thing you installed/configured prior to this happening?

And other info you might feel may need to be noted.

running windows xp with sp 1. i have been told it could the Ram but i don't know. it also hardlocks at the desktop. last thing i installed was a dvix player and downloaded a couple of songs.

specs are

AMD Athlon XP 2200
MSI-k7n2 nforce 2 mobo
2 sticks of 256 DDR corsair pc 2100
40 gig maxtor ultra ata 7200 rpm HD

any ideas?

also i have tried pulling out the ram and trying them individually but same result. it just hardlocks sometimes or just reboots its self and won't even make it too the windows bootup before it will reboot on it's on and just hang. i have to power cycle and i occasionally like right now able to stay on long enough to get on. again any thoughts or opinions? thanks for time again.

I just answered a similar problem in the General Discussion area,
I had a customers Win2K PC do this to me today, however, your problem seems to be slightly different, do you mean to say that your system not only reboots, but also locks up ? If so, at what point does it lock up ? ie.. does it actually boot to the desktop sometimes and then lock ?
You say you have to power cycle and then you can get on.. this is beginning to sound like a PSU problem..

Also, Athlon CPU run very hot, so if the fan is not working or not sitting properly on the CPU, this will also cause this type of problem.

Have you tried to boot into safe-mode? If this works, I would uninstall the DIVX player to see if this solves your problem.

Although I acknowledge that the Nforce2 platform is the quickest for socket A ATM it can also (in my opinion) be the most unstable at times.
They are especially picky on memory and memory timings (if set to agressive) so reset the bios to default to see if this cures the problem.
Upgrade your platform drivers to the latest 2.04's?
Make sure the heatsink is on the correct way around (it is possible to mount the heatsink the oposite way around) which prevents the heatsink sitting squarely on the CPU core so it overheats, also that you have applied thermal paste (if it doesn't already have a phase changing pad attached)
The PSU is the next suspect
Followed by faulty memory
And then a whole host of hardware components, any of which can cause a boot loop.
Driver conflicts are also a possibility.
I would recommend stripping to bare essentials and reintroducing hardware one at a time.
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

i don't think over heating is the problem. pc temp shows 95 F right now that's cause the AC in the room is off. i just switched out the RAM and is seems to be booting all the way but it rebooted once couple minutes ago. atleast it's not going constantly back to back. was it the memory?
i mean i switch out my Corsair for some generic brand.

updating you guys like you asked. i did a system restore with windows xp and it seems to have fixed the problem. i ran a test and downloaded Divx again and then problem repeated again. What is Divx doing that causing my computer to reboot constantly?

I am working on an IBM computer running windows ME, Celeron 1000 cpu, 128 mb RAM, on board sound and video. It appeared to have the blaster worm, (no virus software installed) so I ran the fixblast.exe from Norton then installed Norton antivirus 2004.
Now the computer will not boot completely, gets to desktop then restarts, sometimes it freezes at the desktop.
I have replaced the ram still same problem, fans are running.
I can't get to the setup for some strange reason, I have tried safe mode, same problem. Removed cd, modem, same problem.
Any ideas?

Sorry I didn't mean to post here! I am having a simular problem and was going to post it in PC hardware gerneral discussion but I messed up. (that's what happens when you stay up all night working on computers!)

Has anyone had this problem with xp service pk 2? I downloaded service pak 2 for xp pro when i rebooted it went into a loop of continous
rebooting.
Please help i'm stuck.

I had a similar problem with xp home, when rebooting after upgrade the computer stopped with a black screen so I did a repair install and then it worked. I think I had to download the sp2 over again ( I can't remember )

Resolution:repair install

How to do a Repair install:
1.Disconnect all the external hardware(printer or scanner..etc.)
2.disable the antivirus program(nortan or mcafee)
3.change the first boot sequence to CD rom(by booting to BIOS)
4.insert the CD and as soon as u see "press any key to boot from CD" press enter
5.this would start the setup and press "enter" on the first screen
6.Accept the license aggreement->F8
7. press "r" to repair windows xp
8.Now,..in the course of installation this will restart the computer..so don't press any key if u see any msg also...

I have run into the same problem on Win2k and WinXP systems when a setting was changed in the CMOS. Go into the CMOS and choose the option for "Optimized Defaults" and reboot. That has always allowed the system to start normally.

NOTE**
The original post is 17months old!!!

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back