Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need an overview of Packaging my VB App.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdRev

Programmer
Aug 29, 2000
US
I had packaged my VB application before using the P & D wizard and it worked fine. But now, I have to packaged it together with my Access database. I need to run this application on a user with no Access installed on their PC.

Can anybody give me an overview of how I can do this.

I hope I have understood your question. You do not have to have Access installed on a machine in order for your application to read data from a Access mdb file. Just package the mdb file with your application and it should work!

Yes, with Access you can use the packaging wizard to include a run-time version of Access. This doesn't need a license and installs a cut down version of Access on the users PC so they didn't have to have it installed previously.

The VB packager takes care of this so all you do is include the database in the setup and it should work fine!

Nora

Thanks guys!!

How come when I previously packaged the application using VB's P & D Wizard, it gave me an error that the application can not find the database. But when I installed the application on a PC with Access previously installed, it worked fine. What do you guys think am I doing wrong? "Just package the mdb file with your application and it should work!" Does P & D automatically take care of packaging the mdb file?

thanks again,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back