Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need an MCSD fast! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luzian

Programmer
Nov 27, 2005
US
Any suggestions for books or software?
Any free online resources aimed at tests specifically for an MCAD, MCSD?

I've had good success using practice tests. A variety exist. I use self test software, and really like it. Costs about $350 for a MCSD "bundle" (5 practice tests). It's well wroth it, considering exams are what, $125 each? I've studied for and passed 4/5 MSCD exams in about 4-12 hours per exam (taking 5th exam this week). Method:
Step 1: Start with 2 hours to take practice test.
Step 2: Identify weak areas. Read a chapter or two. For really week areas spend no more than 1 hour on each lab.
Step 3: Repeat until practice test score is 80%.
Step 4: Schedule exam. When time is a fact, I like to do 2 in a day to save on extra commute time to exam site. Schedule 2 hours apart to give a break and extra cram time.

I've targeted and got scores of 850-950 on each exam this way - a good safe pass. Scores over 900 indicate too much time studying. I don't really think a high MS exam score means you are a good developer ... it just means you know how to use all of Microsoft's toys!

Targeted studying based on practice tests prevents studying too much (my time is limited) or studying one topic at the expense of another.

Depending on your experience, it will take you a less time or a lot more. I've been programming 7 years, 3-4 in .NET, and just need the exams to a) force myself to stay up to date b) ensure that I have the option of getting a different job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back