Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a sniffer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gazman

IS-IT--Management
Oct 17, 2000
GB
I have a Cisco 2610 configured with just one BRI interface.
It's connected to a MS Small Business Server using MSProxy 2.1. It works ok but the router keeps dialling randomly when it's not told to. I've set up an access list that expressly forbids all netbios traffic but it still dials out. I keep reading about people in the forum who have "put a sniffer" on the port to check the traffic. How do I do this ? I need to expicitly detect ip and port number request traffic.

You need some type of sniffer software, a cheap hub so you can go intrusive on the segment that the router ethernet port is on, set up a custom filter to grab ONLY the IPs you are interested in AND Netbios traffic. Use google and search on packet sniffer and there are several that come back aside from the standard NAI Sniffer.

Mike S

Thanks Mike. I'll give it a try.

Try looking for a sniffer called Ethereal. It's under GNU license and works on windows and linux (100% free)

If you have a small network, you can enable debugging on all ip traffic, but it's very risky...

Arie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back