Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a router with built in csu/dsu? ahhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

totalkaos

Technical User
Sep 6, 2002
US
I manage a bunch of LANs for small businesses.. But now one is moving and getting all kinds a new WAN stuff... Anyways, this phone company (cavalier) is installing a t-1 with 4 data ports which will supposedly connect to a router to make me have internet.

Ok, at this point I am lost. I would have much rather had them install something that had this capability built in rather than having me find something to work for their stuff.. but whatever.. They estimate bout $1000.00 for this "router dsu/csu" and I am not quite sure where to shop. The best I could come up with would be a cisco 1700 series but I need more than my own guesses on this one.

Thanks
- Tom

Tom,
Normally the phone company just hands off the T to you whether it be a plain old RJ45 jack or a NIU/Smartjack w/RJ45 for a demarcation point for them.Then it's customers responsibility to install either a separate csu/dsu for either voice or data or both (add/drop csu/dsu) to connect into the NIU.From there you would run a V.35 serial cable from the back of the csu/dsu to your compatible router.
There are routers you can buy that have the functionality of the csu/dsu built in already.Cisco's 1700 line I believe is one of them (1720).Intel,OpenRoute and others have the same deal.Yes,they all are expensive I've found out...even the cheatest new was like $895...gezzz.I went on Ebay and bought a bunch of the OpenRoute GTX1000,and Intel Routers with the T1 built in for no more then $50 each...some were brand new in the box..granted they were early models but they fit the bill for me (point to point T1 running down the street to my parents house so I could put them on my LAN) I liked the built in feature as it cuts down on the clutter of extra wires and equipment hanging around.If you have to get a separate csu/dsu it's not a big deal to setup...very basic.
I work for a local phonecompany and see allot of setups using the Cisco 1720 & Openroute products,basic routers with internal csu/dsu's,but they are still expensive pieces of equipment when purchased brand new.
Let me know if you find any good deals out there.

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back