Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a crash course..

Status
Not open for further replies.

crabjoe

Technical User
Dec 4, 2003
US
I need a crash course in JAVA, so any sites or book recommendations are welcome.

I've never done any JAVA, but when I look over javascripts, I do understand them. Now here's my problem.

I've was given a website to maintain last year and one of the pages uses a JAVA app. Everything was all good until the Solaris server the site was running on reached EOL. Without a budget, I am forced to migrate the website to a Windows server.

With the migration, I have to recode all the pages to either ASP or Coldfusion with a MS SQL 2000 as the database from perl with a Oracle.

Eeeek... All was going good until I ran into this JAVA app. Because of the recode, I'll have to make changes to the JAVA app to run on a Windows server and I have no idea how to even recompile the app.

I did install JDK SE to get started, but what should I do next? Can I use JDK to reverse engineer the old app, make changes then recompile?

Someone, please recommend some websites/books for a JAVA dummy. I have to get over this hill ASAP.

Thanks.

You can look for recommendations about books in the Java forum

Anyway, if it's a webapp the your Java application is an applet, you don't need to change it as it is executed at client side.

Also, Java is supposed to be platform independent, so maybe you don't need any migration.

Cheers,
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back