Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I need a better underststanding of Fast etherchannel

Status
Not open for further replies.

greese

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2003
I have a Cisco Catalyst 2948G switch. My servers have dual intel nics that are capable of running as an FEC team. I think i have everything setup right. The intel software says the nics are running as an FEC team, but the properties say it is running at 100mbps. Shouldn't it be 200mbps?

I did run the command set port channel on and the two ports i am using for these nics.

What should i be seeing with this in place? I don't really havea firm grasp on what it is exactly i am gainng by teaming my nics. I thought it was speed and redunancy.

I am new to dealing with these things and appreciate any pointers you may have.

Thanks!

Greg

Etherchannel loadbalancing default to source/destination loadbalancing. It doesn't do per-packet load balancing, so you will never see 200Mb.

If you only have one other host connecting to the server, etherchannel will only give you redundancy without any more speed. However, if you have more than one host connecting to this server then you'll see the benefits.

So it's a bigger 100mbps connection and not really a faster one from a pure speed standpoint.

I have my database servers, terminal servers, file servers etc setup this way.

So it is normal to see the speed reported by Windows as 100mbps. Good to know.

Thanks!

greg

Yeah... It's way fast under load, but if it's only one client pulling a big file or something you won't see anything better than 100mb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back