Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I lost my TS License Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

streborr

IS-IT--Management
Jan 16, 2002
Originally, the setup was an NT4 domain (SBS) and a separate Windows 2000 Advanced Server with Citrix. The TS License Server was on the Win2k box.

I upgraded my network by installing two new servers each running Win2003Ent. Installed VMWare on each box, created two vm's with Win2003Ent as DC's, created another vm with Win2003Ent as a member server to handle print and backup services. The NT4SBS box was removed from the network.
The migration from NT to 2003 went without a hitch and has been running fine for two months. Also remote uses were connecting thru Citrix without any problems.

One remote user decided to reinstall his OS (XP) for who knows why. That user can no longer connect through Citrix. (I walked him through the connection properties and all was correct). Since he reinstalled his OS, his terminal server license info was wiped out. For some reason the TS server didn't issue a new license down to his box. (I have more than enough TS and Citrix Cals). I decided to check the TS licensing service and found that it was not running, I tried to restart it but it won't start. The event log says a license server cannot be found - where did it go?

What I'm wondering is, did creating the DC's break my TS License Server? Does 2003 require that a TS License Server be on a 2003 box? If I create the TS license server on a 2003 box, will the remaining remote users be affected? Will there be some sort of conflict because of a new license server? Can I install the TS CALs from the old server onto the new server?

I've done loads of reading on TS licensing for a mixed 2000-2003 environment but could not find any answers for this situation.

Any help is appreciated,
Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back