Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I keep losing my Exel format 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

anniesolomon

Technical User
Oct 2, 2011
US
I selected the entire worksheet and formatted it so that data in all cells will be at the top left and wrapped. But, as soon as I type something new, the format isn't working. The data goes to the bottom of the cell and does not wrap. It's making me crazy!

hi,

I selected the entire worksheet and formatted it so that data in all cells will be at the top left and wrapped.

By THAT do you mean that all 16,384 columns and 1,048,576 rows are formatted as such?

No, I think not. You probably formatted the cells containing data and then when you entered data outside that original range, there was no such format. Or possibly, you copied a cell containing text from some other workbook or sheet and PASTED it into your already formatted cell, and it lost its original format, which does happen with an indiscriminate paste.

I'd suggest using Structured Tables, which propagates your formats and formulas into new rows as you enter data.

You are spot on! I was pasting stuff from a website into my "formatted" spreadsheet. Thanks for teaching me something new. I never heard about structured tables but I'm going to look into it.

As I stated, if you indiscriminately paste your format might be destroyed.

However you can paste discriminately if you right-click in the cell you want to paste into and select the Paste Option that is appropriate, like VALUES in your particular instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back