Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I just installed a new hard drive 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

head32banger

Technical User
Feb 22, 2003
US
I just installed a new Seagate 40GB Baracudda IV anf partitioned it and formatted it in windoes98. It only recognizes 2GB. How do I get it to recognize the whole 40GB?

Did you enable large disk support in fdisk when you partitioned it 9otherwise it will create a fat16 partition - max size 2GB)?

Is this an old machine? (ie, does bios support > 2gb hard drives)?

I did enable large disk support and it still partitioned 2GB. I have a new motherboard, an ASUS A7N266-VM, with a phoenix BIOS.

What bootdisk did you use?
It's possible (you say you "formatted it in Win98") that your machine is in MS-DOS compatibility mode, and thus only the 2gb partition. Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

So the bios definitely sees 40GB (POST screen)?
If so, go back to fdisk, and run the display partition details option on this (second?) disk. It should show 38GB free. If it does, just delete existing partition and try creating a new one.

If no good, try running this utility instead to view/create partition -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back