Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I installed software on a stand-alone Mac 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ylancantho

IS-IT--Management
Dec 31, 2005
US
I installed software for student use on a stand-alone eMac. I want to clone it and distribute to 20 other stand-alone eMac.

I used disk restore in the disk utility, but the system would not boot after restore.
I think about using carbon copy cloner to accomplish this, but after booting, the emac came up with some missing system preferences, and I don't know if anything else could be missing.

Now, I think about connecting 2 firewire cables to an Emac and boot the source emac system as a Firewire Drive by pressing the t key on booting and do the same for the target emac. Then use carbon copy cloner to copy the source Firewire emac to the target Firewire emac. I don't know if this is the best method and would it work since I plan to try it out on Monday.

What is the best and most efficent method to do this?
Thanks all.

I clone OS and Applications to other computers but I installed everything on a firewire drive.

I startup from that firewire drive and use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone to an erased drive on each Mac.

Does that make since?

JustShady

Rather than use Carbon Copy Cloner, use Mie Bombich's excellent Netrestore.

1. Create your 'master' computer - install all apps

2. If possible, boot from External Firewire drive (or you could boot another machine and attached your master computer with Target Disk mode)

3. Use NetRestore helper to create a Master Image of your Master computer

4. Use Firewire drive/Target Disk mode on another computer. Restore Image to that machine.

There's also an excellent walk-through on the bombich site

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back