Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I helped a friend install Windows 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmtjet

Technical User
Jun 2, 2001
US
I helped a friend install Windows 2000 on his HP computer. The install went smoothly, with only one problem. His CD-ROM does not play music CD's. It will read data CD's OK. The events veiwer lists an error ID 7 " The device\device\CD-ROM 0 has a bad block" I checked eventID.net for error ID 7 and they said to run a cleaner on the CD-ROM. The CD-ROM in question is a TEAC CD-W58E. He has Quicktime and the Windows default player install for music. I think there is more wrong than it just being dirty. Any ideas?

what did you upgrade from? was it a clean install or an upgrade from a previous OS

Try downloading new drivers for the CD Rom drive and upgrading the BIOS on the system as well as downloading the Windows Updates. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

glifex, it was a clean install-not an upgrade. He went from Windows ME to Win 2K pro. CharlieJax, I'm having trouble finding drivers for this burner that are Windows 2000 compatible. The computer is running beautifully otherwise so I hate to mess with his BIOS. Thanks for the replies.

PS: Did find some driver on the HP web site, not sure if they'll work for him.

It really could be a dirty CD-Rom lens - run a wet cleaner and give it a try...

are they original CD's or CDR copies? many older players cannot cope with CDR's.

Problem solved-cleaned the lens, then selected burner as the default. Thank for the tips. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back