Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have Windows XP on new computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

linda55

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
I have Windows XP on new computer. Which version of Access is compatible. My old computer had Access97.

Access 97 will run on Windows XP - I'm not aware of any problems with it.

Hi,

There are some compatability issues with Win XP and Office 97. Its best if you use Office 2000 or Office XP. I have run into weird errors with Office's 97 Excel, etc. The only thing that stopped these errors was an upgrade (see Microsoft's Support for more info).

jbehrne

Windows XP has some problems with Access, all versions. For example, if you're designing a query and want to drag all fields from a table icon to the grid, you have to have the application maximized in order to double-click the title bar of a table icon prefatory to dragging the fields to the grid. This is true both with XP Pro and XP home on all versions of Access; 97, 2000, and 2002. I've screamed long and loud about this to M/S, but I'm not sure they're listening.

Otherwise, I've not noticed any problems in running any of the 3 above versions of Access applications under XP.

For deployable applications with runtime Access if using DAO under Jet rather than MSDE, Version97 is still the best choice as it's much, much smaller than either 2000 or 2002. (Like at least 30 MB smaller.) The so called upgrades from Jet 3.6 in A97 to 4.0 in 2000 and 2002 are merely cosmetic; functionality is unaffected. If, on the other hand, you want to use ADO functions then you have to use 2000 or 2002. These are mainly beneficial if deploying to a web server in an ASP application or writing to eventually upsize to SQL Server where 2000/2002 is the platform of choice.

So, don't trash your A97 applications just because M/S has introduced newer versions; they may not necessarily be better versions.

Cheers,
Uncle Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back