Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have two domains which are in dif

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulBarron

Technical User
Oct 8, 2001
GB
I have two domains which are in different forests and I want them to trust each other.

I have set up trusts and verified them during the setup process. However, after setting them up if I manually want to verify the trusts it lets me do it one way, but when I do it the other way around I get the folowing message;

Information from the Primary Domain controller for the domain (domain name) cannot be obtained because: The RPC server is unavailable

I don't understand why this is happening when the trusts do verify both ways when first setup.

As a result I can browse to the servers on one domain from another via network neighbourhood but when I click on any server within the domain I want it doesn't let me in.

Any ideas?

I have received this same error message while trouble shooting AD replication issues. Here are a couple of ideas for you.

The first thing I would try is stopping and restarting the RPC service. The following article recommends doing this in a situation like yours.

Secondly I would check out the following article

This article goes into great detail on using the nltest utility to troubleshoot domain trusts.

The reason I was receiving that error was because the proper SRV records are not present for my DC's. The netlogon service is responsible for registering these records. To ensure that this is not the problem type net stop netlogon and then net start netlogon.

I hope this gets you pointed in the right direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back