Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have to scan for h/ware changes in D/M for pc to recognise my dvdRW

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeeb

ISP
Mar 26, 2002
GB
I have just installed a RICOCH DVD+RW MP5240 and my pc will not recognise it until I scan for hardware changes in device manager.

This has to be done every time I reboot the pc which is very annoying. The drive works fine only after this procedure.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have you checked with the manufacturer for any updated XP drivers?

There aint none available for XP.
It should automatically recognise the drive on boot up.

Thanks linney, i'll try that later when I get home from work.

Unfortunately the FAQ's and troubleshooting doesn't cover the problem I have.
Also the couple of small fixes didn't work either.

Unfortunately linney I have already tried them things.
When I try and update the driver it says that the one it is using is the best one available.

I'm not clued up on BIOS settings, is there anything I should be looking for in there?

Cheers

I had the same problem. Each time I rebooted my NIC, Video Card and Sound card all got screwed up. What I found was that there were entries in my registry that were pointing to some old hardware.

You should first get a copy of microsoft's RegClean 4.1a and see if it can correct the problem. If not, you will need to do a visual inspection of the software installed in your registry under HKLM\SOFTWARE. make backups of course before you delete anything. I'd be looking for anything related to your OLD CD. Delete that then redetect your current hardware and hopefully it will stick. Mine did.

I have found it easiest to find RegClean by doing a quick google search for RegClean 4.1a. The first hit is for Shareware.com usually and that links to the MS site. Not sure why it is so hard to find ont he MS Site but at least you can get it quick this way.

Regards,

Mark

"When I try and update the driver it says that the one it is using is the best one available"

Maybe XP is using the proper driver, it will tell you in Driver Details which files it is using. If you want to take a gamble and try another driver, there are options in the Driver Update Wizard for you to choose the Driver you want to try.

283658 - HOW TO: Manage Devices in Windows XP

To prevent any problems if you install an incorrect driver (that's if XP lets you), make a Restore Point before hand and/or use the "Roll Back Driver" feature in Device Manager.

I am not too cluey about settings in the Bios and tend to leave them as "Default". If you go into the Bios I would assume somewhere it will mention your DVD and perhaps have a setting which detects it Automatically. I'll leave that side of things to a Bios Expert.

markdmac thanks for the reply.
I ran regclean but still it doesn't see my dvd drive until I scan for hardware changes.
I don't think it has anything to do with old drivers because this is an extra drive which is not replacing an old one, the origonal CD drive is now a slave to this new DVD drive. I'm no expert on the registry but I had a look anyway and could see nothing that may cause this problem.

linney
I couldn't find anything in the link which lets me overide winXP on the driver it recommends.
I know what your saying about the BIOS, it normally is ok if everything was working ok before (plus I dont want to mess everything up for something so trivial).
Thanks anyway.

It is not a major problem because the drive does work without any problems after scanning for hardware changes after boot up but XP should do that automatically when booting up shouldn't it?

Updating or Changing a Device Driver.

Ensure the latest device driver for each of the devices is loaded in Windows XP. Manufacturers frequently update their drivers to fix problems and take advantage of operating system features. These drivers are usually available from the manufacturer's Web site, and Microsoft also maintains driver files for many devices on its Web sites.

Upon downloading drivers, read the manufacturer's instructions before attempting to use the files to update the device. Often, downloaded driver files are compressed into a self-executing file that needs to be extracted in order to use the driver. ************In the Hardware Update Wizard, click to select the Have Disk option, then click the Browse button to locate the driver files**********.

linney
When I select have disk it says the specified location does not contain information about your hardware.

flyingwolf23
If it is a PNP issue, do you know of any work around.

This is racking my brain, i'm getting another bald spot behind my ear :0)

That would indicate that the driver you have downloaded is not going to work on your DVD.

One last thing to try.

Click on Update Driver in the Properties of your DVD. On the "Welcome to the Hardware Update Wizard" page select "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)".

On the next page "Please choose your search and installation options", check the "Search for the best driver in these locations" and also "Include this location in the search". Browse to the location of your new driver (is it unzipped?). Then let the Wizard continue.

I have already tried that linney and still saying the specified location does not contain information about your hardware.
It is the correct driver and unzipped from the ricoh support site.

linney, it doesn't mention my driver but windows does recognise it once I scan for it after boot up.
The thing that gets me is the scan for new hardware should detect it on boot up.
I dont want to take off the casing of my pc again and start swapping my IDE cables and jumpers but do you think that may help?

My google and forum searches are wearing a bit thin.

Cheers

The HCL list is for hardware (not drivers). If your DVD is not listed, then it has not been submitted by RICOH for compatibility testing, and may have hidden faults in XP (such as what you are experiencing).

You sound like you have the mechanics correct or it wouldn't work at all.

You may have to pluck up courage and check out your Bios just to see (not alter) what it says about your drive.

I changed the order in which the CD and DVD drives boot up in the BIOS but still get no effect.
The BIOS recgnise the make and model no problem so the issue has got to be with the OS.

Anyway linney thanks for your input but I am going to give up on this one as it aint that big of a problem (losing my hair worrying about nothing is :0)

Thanks to all users that advised on this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back