Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have to add few new lines in runn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireman

Technical User
Dec 5, 2000
CA
I have to add few new lines in running-config file. Having line1, line2, line3 as a part of config file how can I enter a few more lines in between line2 and line3 (the new running-config file should look like: line1, line2, newline1, newline2, newline3, line3, etc)? Can I use TFTP, download running-config and make a changes using a notepad and upload running-config to the router? Can I use CiscoWorks to enter changes? Any other ideas?
Thanks.

I have no experience with CiscoWorks. You can download, edit, upload, and reload using the startup config. Or, you can download (or cut-n-paste type copy), edit, go into config, and then paste the config back and let it re-read the whole config. Just be sure to use an editor that does not include any control characters. Or, if you are messing with only a couple of lines in a certain section, do the "no" in front of the existing lines and then retype the lines you want in the correct order.

Which editor can i use? Can i download config to tftp server, make changes using editor and upload back to the router?

Yes , use any asci text editor , line notepad or VI
tftp back the config to router.
-bhandari

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back