Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have no experience with this tool 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebaez

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
PY
I have no experience with this tool. So i don´t know if this is possible to do.
I need to print a report with a structure like this:
HEADER
DETAIL
TOTAL OF DETAIL
my problem is that if the detail is cutted by the end of the page I have to print a subtotal of the detail (the part that is shown) at the end of the page and at the begining of the next page. Would be like this:
HEADER
DETAIL
SUB TOTAL
--end of page
--begin of page
SUB TOTAL
DETAIL
TOTAL OF DETAIL
but if the detail fits in a singlepage should be like this
--begin of page
HEADER
DETAIL
DETAIL
TOTAL OF DETAIL
--end of page
Besides I'm using the Crystal Reports 4.6, because it seems that this version came with a free licence with the visual studio.
Is it possible to do it with this version?, and if not, is there an upgrade or something that I can do, I need a free licence.

Thanks.

What you want to do is not easy....even with the newer versions of Crystal...the reason for this is that Crystal itself cannot tell you where it is on the printed page.

Occasionally I am required to make a report look perfect. for example if a Group header occurs near the bottom of a page, make it split to a new page. To some extent "Keep Togethers" could do this but it becomes ragged when the group becomes too large.

My solution was to count lines as they were printed. This was done by placing counters in any section of the report that was printed. The size of the increment depended on the size of the section that was printed....this turned out to be a bit trial/errorish but with a little playing around one could arrive at a total that could indicate that printing was nearing the end of the page.

I am afraid that this is quite complicated to impliment, even for experienced crystal users...but it would work on Crystal 4.6 since it is using simple counting formulas.

that's the long answer....the short answer is yes it can be done....is it easy....no

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back