Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I HAVE NO DESKTOP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

caudalie

Technical User
Sep 25, 2003
US
Help guys, when i boot up my system i don't have a desktop!!! what should i do!!

when i press control alt delete i can run programs through the task manager...

here is a link with a picture of my desktop...

thanks guys

run "explorer.exe" from the task manager and see if your desktop comes back. If it does then the key in the registry which loads it has probably got corrupted or deleted.

this is the key that could be missing/corrupted:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

"Shell"="Explorer.exe"

ohh thanks guys, i did type explorer.exe and my desktop did come back! but when i restarted my system it started up the same way, no desktop - .-;

is there any way to fix it??

thanks

Run, in order, within each program the newest definitions loaded through their option menu, the "Troubleshooting Trinity"

. AdAware: . #2: SpyBot 1.2 (update the definition files)
. #3: Hijack This!

The last two can be downloaded from:
Reboot after each program run.

If the issue does not still resolve, post the Hijack This! log here, someone will give you specific advice.

The shell key is a false lead. You need to approach the applications being done at your RUN level in the registry. At the very least execute Hijack This! and post the log here. You are not getting anywhere looking at the registry for the execution statement for the default shell.

bcastner -

okay, i went to the website...

you want me to download, "Full install
Ad-aware 6 from Majorgeeks.com | 1.7 mb?"

and on the second link you gave me i downloaded...

"Spybot S&D [recommended]" [Downloaded]

"Ad-aware" [brought me to the same website as the first link]

"Aluria Spyware Eliminator" [It asked me for a login name]

I want you to download AdAware, SpyBot 1.2, and Hijack This!. I gave you a direct link to the first; the second two programs can be found on the second link.

Run them in the order I suggested above. Reboot after each scan/clean cycle. Stop when the problem appears resolved.

I ran into this on a WinXP Home system. The client had "removed" the Icons! Once you use "Task Manager" to get your desktop back, see if there is an Icon called "Un-used Icons" or "Deleted Icons", something like that.

Not so micker !
caudalie doesn't have a task bar and startbutton.
So the explorer shell is getting stopped somehow.
Run the bcasners suggestions ,and do indeed
post a log from hijack this here in the thread.

Hi,

If you're using Windows XP, try right clicking on the desktop, select properties, select customize Desktop, Tick the 4 icons on the desktop Icon area,(if not ticked), and also untick the Run Desktop Cleanup Wizard every 60 days.

Alternatively, on the start Menu, right click on it and select on Properties, select on Classic Menu.

Hope this helps!
Pmcillin

He can though bring up Task Manager and File, New Task, explorer.exe to bring up for a session his original desktop.

Running at least two of the online antivirus scanners from smah's FAQ would be a good idea. (I like Trend Micro's Housecall and Panda): faq760-3862

The last several reports of the missing desktop issue though required Hijack This! to resolve.

hi guys, ummm i fixed the problem my boyfriend came over and tried to fix it by installing some nortons 2004 on my system and did a virus scan. That didn't work no infection found, we decided to format until he decided to go on to google.com and look up somthing and we stumbled upon this one website about regeistry virus or whatever anyways.. the website said somthing about this virus called ddm.exe sysu.exe or somthing like that, so what he did was deleted all the files that had those letters in it and yay it worked! lol

THANKS EVERYONE for your help

if you guys get that problem then check for the ddm.exe

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back