Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have lost my icons in my window folders

Status
Not open for further replies.

aberle99

Technical User
Sep 20, 2004
US
When I open a file, the window opens but there are no icons for files or programs. The window states below that there are file inside, but I can't access them... help?

also, upgrading from ME to XP Pro, can I do that and will it fix some explorer issues I am having? Will it be a clean sweep or can problems carry over.

I have done all the virus and spyware cleaning and am just trying to get my computer back.

When I try to System restore, the computer gives me an error message before even getting to the screen.

I know these are random questions, but if you need clarification, just ask.

Thanks

Check to see that the folders are not Hidden, if they were gone the systemm would not work, depending on what folder you are looking at.

Yes, XP pro should fix the problems, it will not inherit existing problems. However, I feel it is best to do a clean install, but upgrade will work.

I know the files are there... I just can't see them.. I think there are not "hidden" as they were there one day and gone the next.... it seems as if windows is flat out not working... I think it is an Explorer issue. I try to download a new explorer butI had no luck.

Based on what I read here. I should have not tried IE6...

When I open a folder, there is a little embossed box in the upper left hand corner.... does that help?

thanks in advance.

A

Does it work in safe mode? Can you run system restore in safe mode?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back