Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have lost my Admin rights on my system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feutz

Technical User
Jan 19, 2008
US
I have one account on my xp and its the Admin account
Im not sure what happened but something hijacked
my rights to change the clock time, modify my desktop settings ect. I cant changed permission levels ect? I dont have my xpinstall disk or i would just whipe/ reinstall, Any clue if this is a perticular virus that attacks admin rights?
Im screwd

Have you run any updated AV or AS apps? Have you downloaded & installed all critical and important Windows patches? As you suspect, it could be a virus ,trojan etc. that has highjacked your system. If you haven't, I'd suggest starting with running Windows Update & then running AV & AS programs. If you don't have any installed, you can download some very good apps from the following sites:

Grisoft also offers free AntiSpyware & AntiRootkit as well. Be sure to check for updates before running these apps. Also, it's not a safe habit to be always online under Administrator account.

Bob B-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back