Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have installed an old Micro Focus 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBrackel

Programmer
May 6, 2003
DE
I have installed an old Micro Focus COBOL Compiler that turned out to be Version 4.0.07. It Compiles, the linker links, but the programs do not run. Reason seems to be ADIS, Micro Focus' Accept/Display module. Programs with the compiler`s version 4.0.38 ADIS and runtime do run.

Someone told me there was a year 2000 fix of the compiler, version 4.0.38. Does anybody know anything about that fixpack?

You mean: if I set the clock back, SETUP will install version 4.0.38 instead of version 4.0.07? How does it do that? I didn' see two COBOL.EXE in the archives.

No, I mean if you want to install the 4.0.38 update, then you need to temporarily set your clock back otherwise the update does not work. The update is available for free from Micro Focus.

Clive

O.K., now I understood. Unfortunately Micro Focus seems to have some problems with old serial numbers, no maintenance
contract and lost Update diskettes or .ZIP file(s).

E-mails from Micro Fopcus sounded like they would like to see a company's maintenance contract.

In the Support page only the following items exist:

# Object Cobol Development Suite

* Object COBOL V4.2 for UNIX
* Object COBOL V4.1 for UNIX
* Object COBOL for UNIX Archive

And all the following PC Product Update FTP Area updates\ directories are empty:

cobol-workbench-v3.2/ 01.05.2003 05:00:00
cobol-workbench-v3.4/ 01.05.2003 05:00:00
cobol-workbench-v4.0/ 01.05.2003 05:00:00
object-cobol/ 01.05.2003 05:00:00

It's a pity, isn't it?

I already did it and got a reply like this:

"Thank you for your SupportLine Registration request. At this time we are not able to process your id. The information provided is incomplete or the serial number(s) provided do not match the Company name. (...)

Please verify this information so your ID can be processed as quickly as possible."

I tried to explain it but got now answer until now. By the way: does anybody still have this secret .ZIP file? Tell me where else I can access it: tbrackel@gmx.de.

Thank you, Clive!

John, Derek and Britton are of office. I'm gonna wait or I try Fujitsu NetCOBOL for Windows Professional Edition that seems to be reasonably cheap although it costs more than ten times as much as one of the better C++ compilers. Still pretty hard times for COBOL programmers, because convert something about
1,600,000 lines of COBOL source code to C++ is as good as Mission: Impossible.

Ok, you have lost me.

"John, Derek and Britton are of office".

The email address that I gave you should connect you with a person who would resolve your ownership issues and give you access to the update.

Clive

:-( Sorry. Talk too much and copy wrong. Must read: out of office.

Hi TBrackel,

Are you talking about old DOS based COBOL compiler? I guess YES. because you have mentioned the file name as COBOL.EXE in the earlier post. OR you are talking about CM-COBOL for UNIX?

Hi kvshetye,

no, I was not talking about the DOS-based COBOL compiler. Although it compiled DOS-based programs I last worked with it under OS/2 (but it's the same COBOL.EXE, you are right). I wanted to install the NT-based version, and this did not work. Fortunately, the problem is solved now with a Fujitsu COBOL compiler.

Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back