Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have created a simple 'activeX document EXE' and have placed the fil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

w1sh3

Programmer
Aug 11, 1999
US
I have created a simple 'activeX document EXE' and have placed the files(cab,exe,vbd) with appropriate link/tags in the 'ms personal web server' directory '\webshare\ When I access this new 'site' within our intranet, a download box comes up which does not indicate what it is downloading, how long it will take,etc. This d/l dialogue will stay up for as long as I let it sit. <br>
Also, on the test machine - my ADODC and Data Combo controls work, but on the server itself, these<br>
controls just 'sit there' and provide no data. I know the ODBC datasource is correct and the db has data.<br>
An attempt at rectifying this was to install DCOm and the MSDAC type exe on the box. I did run across<br>
a bug where the setup.lst file adds 'ex' at the end of 'EXESelfRegister', which causes the setup to bomb.<br>
If you remove the 'EX' from the end of 'EXESelfRegisterEX', the install works perfectly. Regardless, this 'update' did not provide positive results. <br>
Does anybody know what I am doing wrong ?<br>
Thanks!

I have resolved the db problem. I still have an issue with the activeX vb document. Any input on this would be graetly appreciated !

My database problem was actually an empty database..I am using a front end database that extracts from SQL server tables and places all data into one table in a local db, because our SQL server db has inconsistent field types on indexes (which messes up my reports)..Anyways, the solution started off a little messy, hence my confusion about the data...<br>
<br>
So far as the activeX download - I was using an 'activeX document exe' , which after researching, I find that it runs 'out of process' which means that multiple users would be overwriting each others global data (at least thats how I understand it)...I created an 'activeX dll project, instead and it came right up after dowloading the .ocx's.<br>
The .dll is 'in-process' which uses multiple threads,and is more efficient...I also found that '98 users with IE 4.72<br>
had no problems along with NT users. '95 users appear to need a minimum of IE5... <br>
<br>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back