Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have an XP machine, and I'm tryin

Status
Not open for further replies.

ggitech

MIS
Jun 17, 2003
US
I have an XP machine, and I'm trying to setup Dual Monitors. I've been told that XP doesn't support Dual Monitors, but it can be done. So, here's my question:

I have an integrated AGP card, and an NVIDIA GeForce4 AGP card(64mb). Even though I have two video cards, since they're both AGP, I can only run 1 card/monitor at at time. So, in order to solve the issue, I'm looking at a Matrox Millenium 2 4mb Video Card. The MM2 card has 2 "heads", so that I can hook up both monitors to the same card. But, can I hook up one monitor to the NVIDIA card, and the other on the MM2 card, and still have an extended desktop?

What I'm trying to do, is have an extended desktop, running off 2 different cards (AGP & PCI). The PCI card is 4mb, and that's ok, because I'm only looking to have 1 program on that screen. On the AGP card, which is a 64mb card, I'm looking to run games and do whatever else, all while having an extended desktop. (i'm not looking to run games on both screens, just the 64mb AGP card - I've heard rumors that most games will see both monitors, and just automatically run off the correct one)

Can someone please help me out!? Thanks!

I have another thread on this, but not much feedback - thread749-602210

I use an AGP card and a PCI card and don't have any problems. I just go into display settings and adjust the settings for each monitor. It works great.

so then you're able to have both monitors working on 2 different cards - w/extended desktop??

Correct. I have used up to three graphics cards before. When you go into display properties, you should have a monitor displayed for each graphics card you have installed. You can change the settings for each monitor.

There will be some performance degradation issues around this setup depending on its useage.

Just curious as to the need for two vid cards ?

What is the cpu/memory setup of the system in question ?

You could if you wanted to, use both the Matrox and another vid card as well for three monitors but do check some issues around this card to be sure it will not offend your useage =)

GL!

Keep Us Posted!

-Z

ZeDD, I'm using 2 monitors, so that I can have 1 app on the lower end vid card, and do whatever else on the second vid card.

The lower end card would only have the 1 app on that screen, so it should be 100% ok.

thanks-

gg, thanx for you reply. do keep us posted on how your events go on this..

-Z

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back