Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a Win2K SP3 server that I h

Status
Not open for further replies.

CBCGB

Technical User
Aug 9, 2002
US
I have a Win2K SP3 server that I have created. I have given access to a directory on this server to a group and added multiple user to the group by their domain names. I have given full control to the group over the directory. If you create a file in the directory you can look at the file, copy the file but if you go to delete the file you get an access denied or file is open error. If you check the access to the file it shows you still have the file open and won't release access. This has started happening on multiple servers. Has anyone else experienced anything like this or know of a patch for this.

What kind of files are you creating? Create a notepad text file, save it, exit it, then try deleting it, does it still occur?

Matt J.

I got this problem somewhat similar to yours but mine are MS XP Office files. I resolved this by install Office XP service pack. When the files were opened and saved to the new Office XP it behaves properly and it's not weird anymore.

Even If I create a text file in notebook it won't let me delete it. System doesn't have MS office.

And this exact same problem is happening on how many servers? This is strange. And in Computer Management, the file still shows as open after you close it?

Matt J.

At least 3 servers some are pdf files others are html

Well I have tracked it down to the fact that all the servers are running an IIS function. Any known problems with IIS thinking a file is open when it's not?

who ever heard of a Computer Geek Biker

I have been experiencing a similar problem for months. I contacted Microsft and got updated versions of the network redirector for my 2K servers and my XP clients. It didn't completely solve the problem. It seems to be that Symantec Antivirus Realtime Protection is locking some of the files in my case. If I view all the open Shares on my file server I sometimes see a very long list of files that were recently opened but have already been closed. Getting the new redirector did help though. Microsoft told me that the XP SP1 redirector was more problematic than the original.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back