Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a program that cleverly down

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyboytim

Programmer
Feb 18, 2003
GB
I have a program that cleverly downloads Windows (7, 8, and 10) Setup Iso Images from a Microsoft image repository (formerly Techbench - now called Windows Iso, apparently). (a link to the program may be found here: )

As can be seen in the post linked to, it has facilities to save (save dialog to browse to a save location) or open (open - no dialog, just opens - mounts - the downloaded Image - which may be fine in use, but "open" is not so fine since the program does not document it's download folder location, which may be required if the downloaded iso file needs to be saved after use. After a 4GB download you don't want to repeat this, even if your Internet speed is pretty good.

All the user sees is a mounted iso file as a new drive, with no metadata regarding the path to the Iso file, which is in some obscure, and unknown path.

Firstly, this should be a support/bugfix issue to the freeware programmers who kindly wrote the facility. (Which I shall raise in due course.)

Secondly, and I think more importantly, Microsoft should provide some metadata via the properties page (or something else) of the mounted volume, to identify the path to the filesource of the image file, which it doesn't.

Windows 10, 8.1, and Server 2012 now can natively mount a range of Disk Images including ISO, IMG and VHD, and before too long, other virtual disks and proprietary disk images and others which will inevitably be opened as if they were disk volumes, for simpler file transfer and management.

I am not a powershell adept, but I'm sure that there must be some simple script to take the Drive letter of a mounted volume, extract the Origins of the filesystem mounted there, and provide the path and filename of the disk image from which the volume was created.

Can any wizard here provide such a Powershell command?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back