Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a domain name now what 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin97355

Technical User
Jul 11, 2002
US
I'v registered a domain name and have a dyndns account. I can see my computer from the web but now how do I set up my network at home to use this. I want to get my mail at me@mydomain and see my computer as mycomputer.mydomain. What is my next step?
Thanks..[pc]

Also make sure you have an MX record setup through dyndns. This would be yourhost.domain - whatever host your mail server is on.

Kurin Lambert
webmaster@earthmatrix.org

1. Are you using ADSL or dial-up.
2. Is your IP address dynamic or sticky
3. whats your distro
4. have you got a client downloaded

j1bber: ADSL access, tomorrow my IP will be static (yea!!) I have both Redhat 8.0 and Debian woody and I'm not sure what you mean by client. My web page served by Apache on port 80 is visible but as of yet I can't see my Zope page on port 8080. Working on it though.

OK so now Im confused if your IP is static why have you gone with a dyndns account?

The client I was refering to was one of the many available at

But if you have a Static address you just need to set the domain name via the web interface and leave it.
Except for (I've just noticed) you say you want to "see my computer as mycomputer.mydomain" does that mean you have multiple boxes? That you wish to see as myotherbox.mydomain? If not then you just wildcard your dyndns domain.

All you have to do now is set up the mail server and thats going to depend on which one you have installed. I'm not sure if the default is postfix or sendmail on RH.

Im not sure you actually still have a problem. why not send yourself an email to root@mydomain and see if you get it?

j1bber, OK, let's see if I can answer your questions. My first post was before I had a static IP so some of the info is out of date. I did sign up with dyndns and since I paid for it my domain name still points to their nameservers. I have ddclient installed on the linux box in the dmz and the other computers are behind a router with NAT. RH8 will let you install either but since most people I've talked to say postfix is easier that is what I've gone with. I'm still working on setting everything up and am sure I'll have more questions in the future.
Thanks to everyone for their help so far.

"I can't see my Zope page on port 8080. Working on it though."

I can't see my zope page either - is that bad? :)

If you can browse to your domain then you are just about there. You just need to go to where your dns records are (usually your registrar) and create an "MX" (Mail eXchange)record for your domain. Although not needed, some people create a name for their mail server such as mail.mydomain.com and create an "A" (Address)record for it. This is axactly like the one you made for your domain. It just points a name to an ip address. Then you have the "MX" record show that mail.yourdomain.com handles the mail for yourdomain.com. If you are brand new to setting up servers, you may want to check out Webmin. It's a remote admin GUI that makes it very easy to configure your servers and system in general. You can get it at

the best thing to use is using sendmail.
Edit the configuration file sendmail.cf:

MASQUERADE_AS(`mydomain.com')dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl

And you're good to go

--
Mike FN
"8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Web Programmer."

Does this allow you to effectively run a mail server as if it is several mail servers?

I would like to be able to host mail for a couple of groups im involved with, using two seperate names from dyndns. ie. I would like mail from one group to look like its come from say user1@group1.homeip.net and the other say userx@group2.homeip.net

Ive had a look but cant get my head round whether it possible. (Im sure it must be thats what all the ISP 's do isnt it)

When you register a domain, lets say: homeip.net
Sometimes the provider give you options that you can do domain forwarding, i.e:
IP address hostname
11.22.33.235 group1.homeip.net
11.22.33.236 group2.homeip.net
Now there's option in sendmail that allow you everthing under homeip.net (group1 & group2), you will email out as anyuser@homeip.net instead of anyuser@group1.homeip.net
If you point your browser at group1.homeip.net, it still goes to your box with ip 11.22.33.235
Hope this helps.

--
Mike FN
"8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Web Programmer."

Since he now has a static ip would it be more benificial to run his own dns server instead of using dyndns? I also have a static ip and run dns for my lan so I thought maybe I should also run win dns or bind. I use verisign's dns service for my primary domain but thought I could get away with hosting other domains myself. Would this create any forseable problems? Thanks for any input.

Kurin Lambert
webmaster@earthmatrix.org

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back