Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a customized version of IE - heeeeeeeelp! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

niesiak

MIS
Aug 12, 1999
US
I am working on HP Pavilion with customized version of IE (5.0 but I have recently upgraded to 5.5) which means I have dozens of pop-up advertisements coming at me when I try to browse which annoys the heck out of me (and makes me dream of Netscape). I don't want to disable Java Script to get rid of those, so if anybody out there knows of a way to de-customize my browser, I would be very grateful (-:

[sig][/sig]

I understand your delemna but I'm not sure there is an easy way to get rid of the ads (simply disabling scripting capabilities might not produce the desired results).

I grew tired of the limitations of IE so I wrote my own browser for use on my work machines. It's quite nice. I can have dozens of URL's open in their own windows without creating conflicts. It's especially handy with Tek-Tips where I can follow a chain of links with the assurance that I can return to the open Tek-Tips thread with a click of the mouse.

IE and Netscape aren't the only players on the field and I'm sure we'll see more in the months to come.
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.[/sig]

Thank you for the info. I really like Netscape myself and I will probably install it on my HP when I get tired of the ads on IE. I even contacted the HP people about the browser customization but they don't have a clue (or at least appear to). If I could remove IE, I would but I don't even have this option. Such is life, I guess s-) [sig][/sig]

It might actually be a program that the hp uses to customize their machines. If you look in the startmenu under startup and you see any program you did not place their, it might be this program. You can also check which is your default home page. Go to tools->internet options->genereal->then use blank as your home page....

this might help.... :) [sig]<p>ackka<br><a href=mailto:tmoses@iname.com>tmoses@iname.com</a><br><a href= my site</a><br>"Do No Harm, Leave No Tracks"<br>
ICMP Summer 2000, 2600 Article<br>
<br>
[/sig]

Yep, that's my conclusion as well but the browser looks normal (with few exceptions like the homepage always starts from within and I can't change it because it seems to be hardcoded into the browser or Windows) with the trademark IE &quot;spinning world&quot; logo. My StartUp folder only has three things in it - winstartup.exe (don't really know what it does), keymacro.dll (have no clue what is it, either) and battery backup. This is an HP Pavilion though, so only HP people really know all the c**p that's loded on it. There is one thing I am curious about - under Tools/Internet Options/Temp Int Files/Settins/View Objects there are two things: a string of numbers {F17EBD...) and CV3. Can I delete those objects? X-) [sig][/sig]

I think you can force a change to your homepage by changing the registry value &quot;HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\Start Page&quot; but I haven't attempted this yet so try it at your own risk. You might get more than you bargained for.

Internet Explorer is a headache waiting to happen.
explode.gif

If you create a URL shortcut on your desktop, doesn't IE start there instead of
[sig]<p> <br><a href=mailto: > </a><br><a href= plain black box</a><br>Don't sit down. It's time to dig another one.[/sig]

I am thinking about changing the homepage in the registry; I just really don't want to mess with it if I don't have to. This, however, might be one of those times I HAVE TO :cool:I tried starting my IE from the taskbar, desktop shortcut or the Programs Menu - always starts with GoHip (not a webpage, but more like another extra toolbar I can't get rid of). Thanks for the advice. [sig][/sig]

To get rid of gohip, go here;

download the remove.exe file.

To lock your homepage, make the neccessary changes in Internet Explorer, then go to Start>Run, type regedit. Navigate to:
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet ExplorerRight-click on the Inrernet Explorer key, choose new>Key, name it Control Panel. Right-click on the Control Panel key, choose new>DWORD value, name it Homepage and giive it a value of 1.

reghakr [sig][/sig]

Reghakr, I love you :-X You've saved my sanity! I did go to GoHip's website long time ago, but I couldn't find anything helpful in the way of removing my browser enhancement. Now I'm browsing and ther's nothing coming up, no extra windows, no ads, no c**p. You've made my month and it's no small feat. Thank you. [sig][/sig]

Why do computer companies like HP and compaq put so much junk on their computers? At school we found compaqs with a shell made by compaq, why would they do that? And they give you that darn system fixerup cd where you pop it in and it reformats and everything. They should give out a copy of the preloaded OS also because what if you want to start from scratch? [sig][/sig]

I always thought it was like ads on TV, all the software they include pays for the low cost of the computers (and popularizes those programs through their sheer volume). All the HP- or Compaq-specific junk is there so you can NEVER forget who made it and you'll be linked to their web site and promotional deals forever. They don't want you to start over with clean OS; you can but it comes with all the junk HP or Copaq can squeeze on one CD (my HP came with 2! %-( none of which has the normal Win 98 software). I'm just venting, though, so ignore me. I have a 4 year old Acer and, by now, I have gotten rid of almost all the junk it came with (I still have the shell - sentimental, I know) but those new ones won't even let you remove it anymore. Oh, well *sigh*. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back