Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a client who wants to connec

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2002
US
I have a client who wants to connect his main telecom switch which is in his main building to a building he just bought,he needs both building connected for telecom the new building is for storage so he doesnt need many extensions there. He has a T-1 now so i proposed getting a seconed T1 in the new building along with a smaller telephone system and the T1 will interconnect the 2.
This might work for telecom but not for cat5 connections or if the T goes down so does that entire building. My seconed idea is to hard wire both buildins together, they are about 80 feet from each other. The first route is outdoor cabling which is costly and i need an outside vendor for it oh by the way im in nyc anyone with vendor info. would be greatley appreciated. Seconed route is under ground cabling which maybe even more costly and the seconed property has an elevation of 6 feet any suggestions?

A T1 could be used for the telephone system and data if you wish, but, being so close I would run wire between the two. You could pull a 25 pair or 50 pair or however many you need for your telephones, and pull a Cat5 for data. You could put a switch at the storage building and distribute your network that way. Or you could put fiber in, and do your data that way. Many options, I guess it mostly depends on how easy it is to get conduit between the two buildings.

Good Luck It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

You should also consider fiber between the buildings. Depends on your budget.

Depending on the phone system connection I would go with fiber. That makes it one run across for both your voice and data. Just be sure to leave yourself some extra strands to use as spares for redundancy and for any further expansion from the second building. I would also network two telephone systems rather than keep everything in one. That way you can build system one as a power failure contingency for system two and vice versa.

Some good ideas...though many switches won't support that level of networking and redundancy. As I understand the need it is just for a few extensions in the second (storage) building. It will likely be far less expensive to run 50 pair copper for phone, and depending on what you need you could do a pairgain DSL type solution for your data if the distance limitations exceed the maximum 100 meters for Ethernet.

Just depends on how many extensions, how much data is needed and how big the budget is :)

Good Luck!
It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back