Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have a 60GB HD and only formatted to 14GB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AidanEnos

MIS
Dec 11, 2000
I formatted the drive when I had Win98 installed, now that I have upgraded to XP Pro I want to try and format the rest of my HDD into another drive (say drive P).

I assume there is a painless way to do this in XP and am looking for the procedure to format ONLY THE UNALLOCATED SPACE NOT THE PRIMARY BOOT DRIVE. They are physically one in the same, but I have around 45GB that I would love to have access to - any suggestions?

Thanks,

AidanEnos

Right click on My Computer, go to Manage, then Storage, then Disk Management. There you should be able to partition off the other bit of your hard drive and make it available. Jennifer Sigman
Unemployed again

You rule :eek:)

Drive P has been created with NTFS in under 90 seconds!!!

Thanks,

AidanEnos

hi i have 731 megaherz comp win xp pro 190mb and 20 gig and i only have 15 gig left is taking 5 gig for nathing i clened my computer with every cleaner there is nathing pl help

The 5 gig being used is most likely the OS and backup files. YOu upgraded from ME, right? Actually, I don't believe that MS supports upgrading ME to any OS. ME is evil. I'd reccomend reformatting and installing XP clean. This is the best way to go for any OS install. Upgrades never seem to run as good as a clean OS install.

On my machine there is only a C: drive that is half full. Can I creat a new partition from the unused space?
When I go to computer manager and right click on the volume, there is no option to creat a new partition.

billybarty:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this...but Windows XP will create a new partition in the UNALLOCATED space on a drive. Unfortunately, your entire C: drive has been allocated to the one partition already. Note the difference between "unallocated" and "unused." A third party partition manager (Partion Magic, e.g.) should be able to do what you want.

Dana [glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back