Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have 6 years of experience in IT.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WouldBeAdmin

Programmer
Dec 27, 2002
US
I have 6 years of experience in IT. I am sure that when you do any certification you will the fundamentals of it. That is for true.

My question:
I want to take Solaris 9.0 Sys Admin Exam, Does this exam expects the user to have practical experience or just theoritical knowledge.

Happy New Year 2003

I would hope that ANY Sys Admin exam would require both practical experience and theoretical knowledge. Otherwise, holding such a certification would not (should not) carry much weight with a future employer or co-workers, who may be getting less than expected from this certified individual.

I have the solaris 9 cert. There is no way that you can pass these tests without experience. I have 4+ yrs. exp. and it certainly played a part in passing the test.

The book and study materials are going to give you the neat lists of things to remember and lists of "things" that compose "other things" ("things" here could be NFS, DNS, Jumpstart, etc. "other things" could be the configuration files that compose the former or the daemons that support it.... follow me?)

But the test will ask you quiestions that will require you to have an understanding of how ALL of these things behave when they are working together. There are questions about subject matter that may have been covered in the book/class but that without implied knowledge of other aspects of solaris, you will not answer correctly.

On the other hand. I will say that I passed both tests on the first try with about 2-3 weeks of certification specific studying. With solaris experience and some studying, you should be able to pass without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back