Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I have 256m/Ram but still get 'Insufficient RAM' warning...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have 256 meg of RAM but for some reason I get an 'Insufficient RAM' warning and the program doesn't start

I'm running Win2k and have no 3D graphics card, Will either of these cause a problem???

I desperately need to use this program and would apreciate any help if anyone has had the same problems.

Might not hurt to increase your paging file, this may well not be that helpful but it does no harm.... (u need some HDD space though)

right-click on 'my computer' * and select 'properties' from the context menu, then click the last tab and you will find the option of increasing your paging file. This is what Win2k uses as an alternative RAM - a paging file on your harddrive.

If that still doesn't work, follow the example up to * and on the first tab you will see a report on your RAM and CPU. If this is correct and the paging tweak don't help you might need to

a) Uninstall stuff that loads on startup, therby eating your memory

b) Get more RAM. 256 MB isn't much anymore, really.

(Once upon a time I was so happy to get an 8MB upgade!)

HTH

Tels Win2000 Network Administrator

From Authorware 6's README. Seems entirely applicable for Fontographer 4.1 too (same problem).

- Authorware will not open a new file on an NT-based system if the amount of physical memory available, plus the MINIMUM setting for the paging file (virtual memory) exceeds 2GB.

In other words, (x + 256MB) < 1GB for your system, wherein x = MINIMUM paging file size.

Settings > Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance Options > Change... Alter your MINIMUM paging file size from there, and restart your system. Voila! Extreme 3D should work. I had exactly the same trouble as you, the above steps were the cure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back