Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I give up! Is there REALLY such a thing as Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

micker377

Technical User
Jan 15, 2003
US
I have three computers running. Desktop with 8.1 Pro, Laptop with Win 7 Home, and a test desktop built expressly for Windows 10.

The 8.1 desktop has the little icon that says that Windows 10 IS coming eventually.

The Laptop (Win 7), doesn't even get the icon announcing Win 10.

The desktop for Windows Insider (built when Win 10 was first released to Insiders). Went through all of the Win 10 upgrades, to version 10240. Now it is stuck on that! I started getting errors that my insider account needed "fixing". Tried that, and the screen said to go to the Window's Store and get it! Now I read that that if it isn't updated by the 15th, Windows 10 won't boot! So I started over - used the Windows "reset", and lost all of my customizing. Had to make a new login password, and Microsoft Account.

It didn't help! I'm still stuck at 10240. Check this online, and all you get is hundreds of complaints of the same thing! Does Microsoft even care about the users anymore - or do you have to be a Corporation to continue using Windows?

Download Windows 10

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

Windows 10 must be launched from within Windows 8.1, or Windows 7 SP1, if you want it to be free. It must be done before July next year too. The easiest thing to do is to download the .iso, right-click on it, and select "Mount", and then run Setup.

Create bootable USB drives the easy way

To get more Insider Builds to update 10240 try Signing in to Windows as an Administrator. Go to Settings/ Update and Security/ Windows Update/ Advanced options/ Get Insider Builds

To get more Insider Builds to update 10240 try Signing in to Windows as an Administrator. Go to Settings/ Update and Security/ Windows Update/ Advanced options/ Get Insider Builds"

Did all of that. Clicked O.K. on all the warning screens. The computer rebooted - and I STILL have 10240!!!

I have been fighting this for months - I have tried all of the recommendations... that's WHY I am so frustrated!!!

Installing Windows 10 using the media creation tool

O.K. - bit the bullet and did that! Made a USB stick on the M.S. site given. Went through two hours of "down loading" updates, and installing what M.S. put on the USB stick. Installation went fine... and I now have version 10240!!!

Any more suggestions?

I'm pretty sure the publically downloadable images remain at 10240.

The new Insider version, 10565, was only released on Monday, and is only available through Widows Update, and only if you are on the Fast Track.

But are you saying that you have never been able to install any of the previous Insider updates released since RTM?

>my insider account needed "fixing". Tried that

I presume that you means you have opened Settings app from Start Menu and clicked on Update and Security icon, then opened Windows Update section, clicked on Advanced options link and used "Fix Me" or "Get Started" or similar button in Get Insider Builds section?

Version 10240 is the RTM version that most of us have.

This is what I see when I type ver into a Commamd Prompt.

C:\Users\usernamexxxx>ver

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.10240]

If you want to go on receiving Insider Builds (and get the beta versions later than 10240) then you do what I said in my link. To get more Insider Builds to update 10240 try Signing in to Windows as an Administrator. Go to Settings/ Update and Security/ Windows Update/ Advanced options/ Get Insider Builds

From within Windows 10, 7, 8, or 8.1 browse to

to download an iso for build 10565

Once you select and download the iso, right click and mount the iso as a virtual DVD. To ensure that you will be able to activate your new Windows 10, from your current, activated system, open the sources folder on the iso and copy GatherOsState.exe to your desktop. Run the executable and a file called GenuineTicket.xml will be created. This is unique to your hardware, so copy the file to a safe place - USB, or cloud storage etc.

To upgrade 10240 to 10565, run setup.exe in the root of the iso. If asked for product key, select skip or later.

Whereas 10240 is a full permanently activated version, the 10565 version is a time limited evaluation, until July 2016. If you wish to run both, and have another formatted partition available, follow the method below.

To install on a separate drive or partition, run setup.exe from within the sources folder on the iso, which will allow you to choose the destination drive for the installation. There will be a few interactive screens for language and region and user name - do not use a Microsoft Account at this stage - you can switch later once installed.

If there are problems with activation, you may need to copy the GenuineTicket.xml to the

%ProgramData%\Microsoft\Windows\ClipSVC\GenuineTicket

folder on the newly installed system, and then restart, which will activate the installation.

Yes, MS have indeed now released the ISO (in the last 12 hours or so). They hadn't when I posted my comment ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back