Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

I get a ETWIN.DLL error??

Status
Not open for further replies.

labecs

Technical User
Jun 18, 2007
US
I am totally ignorant of all things computers, but I need to install Sidekick to get all my contacts, and I get an error saying that it's missing the etwin.dll file. I have tried reinstalling, but nothing. I am talking about Sidekick 99.
Has anybody found a good replacement, by the way?
I'll appreciate all your help!
Thanks

Dear labecs,

Which operating system are you using?

This error code has not come up for some time as it only occurred on Windows 98SE.
I quote below from the FAQ pages on my site, see the FAQ pages there as I only have to edit them once if they are only in one place:

See especially:
Q14
ETWIN error occurs with SDK98 or SDK99 when left open for a long period of time

and see also:

I suggest that you get a copy of Sidekick98 available by download there too and install it instead of Sidekick99 which was prettier than Sidekick98 but not anywhere near as competent.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Hi, James33... I am running Win XP Pro. I tried to install SK 98 and got this error: sfres.dll is missing. I wanted to uninstall 99 first, but I couldn't. The program does not appear on my list of add/remove programs and I don't have an entry in the start menu either. How do I do it?

Dear labecs,

Check out the FAQ pages at my website FAQ page 1 has the following info:

Q25
SDK98 a required DLL file SFRES DLL was not found

Q. When I run Sidekick 98, the message "A required DLL file, SFRES.DLL was not found" appears.
What may be causing this?
A. The "A required DLL file, SFRES.DLL was not found" or "The dynamic link library SFRES.dll could not be found in the specified path" error will occur if you try to launch Sidekick.exe from a folder that is missing other necessary program files.
For example, by default, Sidekick.exe is installed into the Starfish\Sidekick 98\program folder, as are the other program files. Check the Sidekick.exe modified date in Windows Explorer and make sure it is dated 1/5/00 or later.
In addition, if you downloaded and installed Sidekick 98 and then installed the SK98Patch.exe, make sure any shortcuts you may have created point to the new Sidekick 98\program\Sidekick.exe.

Regards Jim
Check the FAQ area of this Forum for answers (If there are any FAQs!) , it could save you a lot of time and effort!

Dear labecs,

To uninstall Sidekick99 go to the Sidekick99 folder which is at
C:\Program Files\Starfish\Sidekick 99\
(on my installation but may not be the same on yours)
and find the file

TSUn.exe

alternatively press the Windows key and R
and copy and paste the following path into the dialog box which opens:

"C:\Program Files\Starfish\Sidekick 99\TSUn.exe"

select the WHOLE line include both of the "" and then press Enter and follow the instructions but make sure there are no other Sidekick programs running at the time.
If there is an error message, and you are absolutely certain that you pasted the above path in correctly, then you will have to do a windows 'Find' to discover where that file is as Sidekick must have been installed in a different folder.
When you have found it; run it by double clicking on it.

Let me know how you get on

Regards Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back